While I was looking around at festival websites last night, I came across a spinoff of Milwaukee's Summerfest: Your Music Fest. Yep. This is a new festival set for June 4 and 5, 2010 and will feature all modern and alternative rock bands. The cool thing is that promoters are asking you - the fans - to name the fest and create its logo, too!
Here are the official rules right from the Your Music Fest website:
This year, the Summerfest grounds will host a brand new Modern Rock and Alternative Festival on Friday, June 4 and Saturday, June 5, 2010. This new festival will feature Alternative and Modern Rock bands and will include a nonstop lineup of national and regional headliners. And since it’s a brand new fest, we’re leaving the name and branding up to YOU!
Here’s how it works:
- Fans will have the opportunity to brand this festival by creating both a name and logo (submissions MUST include both)
- If interested, you may submit it here
- Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. CST, Sunday, February 21 , 2010
- Staff of Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. will determine the Top 3 submissions
- Public may vote from Monday, March 1, 2010 until Monday, March 8, 2010, to determine the winner
- The winner will be announced on Wednesday, March 10, 2010, on www.yourmusicfest.com and www.summerfest.com
Top 3 Finalists receive a “Music Lovers” prize package comprised of the following:
- Two (2) complimentary 2-day admission passes to the Festival, June 4 – 5. Transportation and accommodations are the sole responsibility of the Finalists.
- Six (6) complimentary three-day admission passes and four (4) complimentary single day admission tickets to Summerfest, June 24 – July 4, 2010, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 3-Day passes are valid for one admission per day and are non-transferable. Transportation and accommodations are the sole responsibility of the Finalists.
- Eleven (11) complimentary single-day parking passes for Summerfest.
- One (1) complimentary $100 Summerfest Gift Card.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive a VIP experience at the festival in June, including:
- Complimentary roundtrip airfare for two (originating in the Continental U.S.).
- Complimentary hotel accommodations in Milwaukee, June 4 -5, 2010 (one room; double or King).
- Tickets to the festival for them and a guest
- An assigned parking space for the festival
- VIP hospitality passes for them and a guest
- Backstage passes and Meet & Greets for select shows with Artists’ approval
- A themed profile on Summerfest.com and the festival’s web site
- Signed merchandise from the bands playing at the event
So, what do you think? Is this cool or lame? I tend to think this is a brilliant, recession-proof idea. After all, promoters are getting a dirt cheap name and brand identity and the person that wins will get ultimate bragging rights. As of right now, I have zero information of who could possibly be playing this new fest. Summerfest is the world's largest music festival and inks big time headliners. I will assume this means "Your Music Fest" will also ink top talent. Time will tell.